Subscribe with Bloglines Life in Geezerville

Saturday, June 23, 2007

Diogenes

Wandering through Athens with his lighted lamp in daytime, Diogenes sought for an honest man. He chose to be a beggar and public scold. I think I have found one.

Dad chose to be a scold who catalogued and warned about every sin of the 20th Century. I was shocked after I told him I was going to Las Vegas for an NASSP Conference. His only comment was, “Don’t lose all your money.” I had fully expected the usual vice-principal morality lecture.

Over the years, I have handed friends a fiver to gamble for me when they were going. It’s an American custom. I never received any winnings. Maybe it was because I did not expect any.

This week, Robert went gambling in Indiana. He and another were handed $5.00 each. Robert increased his to $10.00 on the slot machine. He increased the second fiver to $16.00. I was there when he handed $26.00 to the surprised donor. At last, an honest man.
===============================================================================
Elsewhere, we were reading the daily newsletter and the following conversation occurred.

Kathie: “What is ball salad?”

We all read the first two words on the back of the menu: “ball salad”. When turned over the menu item, in total, read, “Melon ball salad.”

Anonymous: “Were you thinking of sheep?”

AsA

It is hard to write funny stuff when you have the government to compete with!

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home