Subscribe with Bloglines Life in Geezerville

Saturday, May 05, 2007

My cannon recital

Out of the wild blue yonder, I received the following emails.

Hi Asa, I am having my students come this Saturday and next Saturday to play at Geezerville during lunch time. However, I think only one student will be there this Saturday (everyone's schedule is crazy this spring).

The cool thing is that the one student who wants to play this Saturday is doing the 1812 Overture with me (1P4H). Would you like to be the cannon? (Nothing crude, you know!). I can bring a medium sized drum and you can whack at the designated times like the student who will play the timpani at our recital. If you decline I will certainly understand because this request does sound bizarre. Attached is the music. (I would include the mp3 but system servers would kick it out. If you want, I can send it individually to a personal email.)

Actually, I keyed it all in from an electric piano, but I have a sound module that "kicks butt" connected to my laptop where I can make the mp3s. That sound module has the most amazing stuff on it, like the "One," "Two," "Three" voice, explosions, many different types of applause (stadium, coffee house, cheering with whistles), dog barks, trains, along with orchestral instruments, rock'n out stuff, just crazy! (Hard to use the applause in an offertory at church.) Sandy


The day arrived. The 1812 Overture needs a tympani. Have you ever tried get a drum the size and shape of a VW into a Toyota? Sandy finally settled on a clean plastic paint bucket and a heavy duty rubber mallet from Lowe’s. It would work better if there was an opening underneath for resonance. We tested it first on Sandy’s foot. After resetting the metatarsal arch, we ready to begin.

But, first, Patty Proboscis just had to come over and ask what was going on. I resisted the temptation to tell her we were getting ready to make gravy for the turkey. I do not know why she irritates me so much, but she does… I am not alone in this, but I diverted.

We were ready to boom. I placed the “drum” on a Baptist hymnal. “The Solid Rock”, you know. The one piano and four hands was magnificent. I missed a couple beats, but we finished with a resounding almost thunder.

You are welcome to attend the encore recital this Saturday lunch.

AsA

My ship just came in.
I was at the airport.

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home