Subscribe with Bloglines Life in Geezerville

Saturday, October 14, 2006

A New Adventure

Three years ago, I started a new adventure. I sold my garden home and moved into an independent living retirement community. It saved me from the stress of living alone and caring for a property. Three meals are offered each day, the only utility payment is my telephone, housekeeping service once a week, transportation for medical visits, and a plethora of ladies with whom to flirt. And so we begin. My first vignette was in my second week here.

Have yet to eat with anyone who can discuss anything outside the building. I miss my Alabama free-flowing conversations. The other night I ate supper with a man and woman who had worked for the same construction company. They argued over when this building was built. Both were right, of course. Just ask either one.

I've heard lots of complaints about people in poor health in the building. What do they expect? I think it grows out of fear that their day is coming - and they would not want to be evicted when that happens. Most of the people seem older than I by a decade. Have met a couple who are 25 years older. After every meal, the walker race to the two elevators begins. Being a faux gentleman, I usually lose.

Asked if I could sit with a couple "ladies" (?) the other night. Said they were waiting for someone. They must have gotten stood up.

Later, I rode down the elevator with them at lunch. One said she was fine and the other said she wished she were out-of-here. As I walked down the hall, I heard the grump says to the other that she hoped they could get their "table" before the pigs got there. How sad to have that kind of an attitude.

Asa, I heard about you asking a couple of ladies to sit with you. The one who said it was saved, said she got all giddy and said it was saved because she couldn't think of what else to say. She told us later that she didn't know why she said it and that she felt silly for doing so. So the ladies instead sat at the table and giggled about what a cutie you were the rest of the meal. It's nice to know that no matter what the age of a woman is she can still be made to feel like a teenager
Marsha


AsA
*grin* It makes "them" wonder!

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home